Thursday, October 6, 2011

The Great Mandala



What we hope you will learn from your visit:

Be thankful for what you have.
Show respect for all living things.
Learn to not waste anything.
Share what you have and help each other.

Lenape Village at the Churchville Nature Center, Lower Bucks County, PA


This hopeful takeaway for visitors to this authentic replication of a Native American village seems to me to comprise a fairly complete ethos for these modern times. The depiction of the Lenape tribe's lifestyle as practiced some 600 years ago epitomizes the true spirit of sustainability and is a useful reminder there is nothing new under the Sun. As if to underscore this, in the sky above, geese in classic V-formation flying down from the north are landing at nearby Springfield Lake, either to winter here or continue on to points south. Just as foot soldiers from the Right2Know March are headed to Philadelphia, the next way station on an itinerary taking them, us, me, to the White House.

The caravan has changed considerably from what it looked like in the beginning of August. Where once there was only Priscilla, Julia, and Roxy Boxy, now there is also the Compass Green mobile greenhouse, Dr. Bronner's hook-and-ladder fire truck - plus a flotilla of support vehicles keeping pace with the marchers, including the eye-catching little blue car with a huge genetically-engineered corn fish on its rooftop.

For the duration of the R2K March everyone is being fed three meals a day by Everybody's Kitchen (EK), a group of volunteers that tour around the country feeding people wherever and whenever a need arises, be it victims of natural disasters, the inner-city homeless or in the service of political actions. EK travels in a big yellow school bus converted into a commercial kitchen. Let me tell you, I thought it was way cool that Priscilla was outfitted with a serviceable kitchen. But, this? A school bus with all-the-stops- pulled-out, professional equipment? It's the bomb! UK is joined at the hip with Organic Valley, its logo-emblazoned, refrigerated box truck packed with fresh milk, butter, eggs, juice and produce. I've grown especially fond of topping off my morning joe with their hazelnut half 'n' half.

They, the EK crew, are every bit a part of this thing as we are a part of their mission. Having had some time off from KP duty, I get to don my chef's coat in a few hours to begin prepping for tonight's dinner. I will be preparing a Curried Coconut Vegetable Stew, Thai Red Rice with Quinoa, and a piquant Peach Chutney. And it just so happens it'll all be vegan. So, there!

My eyes well up with tears when I consider how truly fortunate I am. Apart, though not separate, from the SLR tour, this is a personal journey – in the bosom of an intentional community in motion - having taken my place on the Great Mandala. I've never felt more a part of the Web of Life. Though I know not where the road will take me after SLR arrives back in Oakland, CA...for the time being I am living in the moment.

And I can report back to you, the Here and Now is not just alive and well.  It is teaming with life. My life.


No comments:

Post a Comment