Sunday, August 21, 2011

Easy Does It

Before I went into recovery for my alcoholism, I’d see the above phrase on bumper stickers and wonder. What’s the dealio? Is it connected to that Christian Fish thingy? Or that 11 99 equation that’s missing a mathematical operation? While not shy about wearing my heart like an armband, I’ve never been one to adorn my Volvo’s bumper, fender or hood with beliefs, opinions or jokes. I don’t, however, begrudge those that do. In fact, it’s sheer joy to encounter drivers whose vans are carpeted wall to wall - on the outside, that is.


At my very first AA meeting, I saw an Easy Does It sign. Turns out there were many sayings, slogans and mantras in the program. Like One Day at a Time, Keep It Simple, Stupid (K.I.S.S.), and First Things First. Early on, it’s critical to slow the landslide. Crucial to shore up the levees. Vital to ratchet down a notch or two. Somewhere along the way chaos had taken over. Without the daily drama, life was just a series of boring scenes. 


Need an example? Okay, here goes...


Discovering you’ve locked the keys in your trash-laden Camry an hour before your parents are due at JFK. Taking a cab to the airport, realizing too late they’re actually arriving at La Guardia. Attempting to call them on your iPhone, but the battery’s dead. Sound far-fetched? Wait, there’s more. Somehow you manage to drum up a charger from a stranger, only to find your service has been suspended due to non-payment of your AT&T bill. In desperation, you find a phone booth, swiping your debit card. Does the call go through? Well... that’s a bit optimistic. See, your checking account is overdrawn.


Seems comical now. In real time it was pathetic. Often tragic. You wanted to scream, lash out, cry. Instead you poured yourself a stiff one. And another. And another. Somewhere along the way, life got away from you and no matter how fast you ran, always stayed just out of reach.


On page 86 of the Big Book, there is a passage some of us rely on each morning, almost as much as that first cup of coffee:


In thinking about our day we may face indecision. We may not be able to determine what course to take. We ask God for inspiration, an intuitive thought or decision. We relax and take it easy. We don’t struggle. We are often surprised how the right answers come after we have tried this for a while.


I've tried this for awhile. Turns out life in the slow lane gets me where I'm going just fine, thank you. Bumper sticker or not.


No comments:

Post a Comment